2017 was a year, I will give it that! A full year in every sense of all the ways… Growing up in the 80’s I grew up with January 1st being the big Casey Kasum rehashing of the year we were still freshly saying goodbye to. There are some things I still, after all of this time, really miss. That would be one of them… So, in trying to reconnect with a few old traditions, these are a few of my favorite things in 2017:
Lost myself listening to…
- Paramore (All, but specifically their newest album- After Laughter)
- Portugal, the Man
- 21 Pilots- Blurry Face album
- Matt Maeson
- Phoenix- (newest album- Ti Amo)
- Weezer- Pacific Daydream album. BRILLIANT!
- Silversun Pickups acoustic sessions
- K-pop (Exo, Monsta X, Crush, Dynamic Duo, T-Max, Kae Sun, BlackPink, etc.)
- Dear Evan Hansen Broadway recording
I was moved by…
- All of the devastation this year, through storms, fires and ill-intended human beings, and yet the quiet resiliency which would rise up among the bravest, in love.
- My husband’s rescue of a stranger, and the way he and the other Hero worked side by side, seamless and instinctually.
- Dylan Farrow’s article, and the reality it subtly insinuates.
- The continuing search and hope for Danielle Stislicki
- my husband reaching a goal and completing a half marathon
- seeing my son as a father, with his daughter
- This Lifetime commercial.
- The Glorious video, by Macklemore
- The adoption journey and completion of my beautiful friend Tia and her son
- My friend’s motherhood journey, and her beautiful little, perfect family.
- Goblin (Korean Drama)
- The Book of Henry (film)
- Fun Mom Dinner (film)
- Wonder Woman (film)
- Hero (video) by Monsta X
- The Big Sick (film)
- Lego Batman (awesome)
- Twin Peaks: The Return (tv)
- Only The Brave (film)
- The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)
The hardest/darkest parts…
- Knightley. Loving him, knowing him, losing him…
- When my kids struggle/hurt.
- watching my mom go through dementia and deteriorate more and more, each day.
- potty training puppies, on little to no sleep
- when my husband was in Australia
- Saying goodbye to my son and his family, multiple times.
- When my grandmother’s vintage bowl broke
- Having friends walk through really dark chapters, in their journeys, while I was helpless and too far away to really help.
- My own chronic illness issues increasing so rapidly.
Adventures & Moments…
- Meeting, and getting to know, my grand-daughter Victoria.
- Celebrating my daughter Gennica’s high school graduation.
- meeting my (first) great-nephew.
- My sweet grand baby Ethan’s first birthday!
- Celebrating my mom’s 70th birthday.
- Traveling to Washington state and Idaho to absorb love and moments with beautiful people.
- forty-four Mask Mondays
- celebrating my sister Jennie, and two beautiful friends, in creative ways throughout the year.
- Switching over from a paper calendar/planner to a digital one
- The Dear Stranger letter challenge.
- Devils on Horseback (bacon wrapped Dates) at the Silver Pig
- Bourgeois fries at Boise Fry Company
- homemade pop-tarts, with my mixed berry jam. (best tasting summer berry hodgepodge of luck, ever.)
- Chipotle getting queso. (!!!!)
- raspberry chocolate torte from Cantoro
- sweet mini-pepper tacos
- Burger Fi herb & Aoli fries
- Korean Tacos at the Yard House
- Harney & Sons PARIS tea
- Chocorite, sugar free (and AMAZING) “candy”.
- Chalkboard doodling
- Making an interactive trivia game, as a gift
- essential oil sugar scrubs, sprays and creams.
- Total Gallery wall
- Made a photo/journey book, for my family
- My Twin Peaks 41st birthday
- the Twelve Days of Christmas for my husband
- Traveler’s Notebook
- Bible Illustration & creative journaling
- Painting a palette sign with other, beautifully creative women
- how to love so deeply, and lose (Knightley), and then make myself ready to love again. (Elenor)
- how to accept my limits, with grace and self love.
- as silly as it sounds, I learned a ton about gum/oral health, and WHY certain practices are necessary.
- that unknowingly, I matured beyond the Oscars and a passion about/for them.
- How terrible/hard/ugly/difficult that distance between loved ones really is.
- Tai Chi practice is life changing.
- that I definitely need regular chiropractic care.
- that I am an advocate of the legalization of medical marijuana, and why it’s important.
I discovered, and then I obsessed…
- the ATTN: videos with Nev & Laura. I love them!
- Blue Babies Pink podcast
- S*Town podcast
- Harvest Moon IOS
- Flow magazine and periodicals
- Brothers and Sisters reruns, on Hulu
- Disney Emoji Blitz (because, apparently I am 12…)
- Puppy collar bow-ties and flowers.
- the love story between Paul Betany & Jennifer Connolly
The best money I spent…