I have, for a long time now, been inspired by the people who challenge us to reflect back on our growths and progress. The very act leads me to more intentional choices. For a long time I’ve followed along as Emily P. Freeman has blogged these things, and once or twice I may have even half heartedly played along.
The truth is, that at the start of every month (and every season) I determine that I am going to create a place for inspired reflection, within this space. And every single month there is something that happens, which makes me release myself from that plan.
Every single month.
So, throughout January I was adamant with personal notes (in my planner) that I would NOT let this fall to the wayside again. And then, as January wrapped up, what happened? I was hit with a blinding aura followed by a cluster migraine that dominated my brain for the better part of five days… As I reentered life and began to take note of the work I needed to make up, the glaring realization of yet another month failed, smacked me right in my side.
Maybe it is February fourth.
Maybe it feels too late, like what’s the point now?
If that’s true, ok. I’m here anyway…
In January I learned-
- I cannot hold any element of my reality to an unrealistic ‘one size fits all’ standard.
- How absolutely valuable and motivating it is to have a trusted group of women who I know will offer me honest feedback, speak truth to/over me and inspire me.
- Oddly, a lot about sugar.
- How my illness has affected so many parts of my life, most unexpectedly being my tastebuds. Every single day, dietarily, is like a trip to the Craps table in Vegas…
- That bouncing/dancing/exercising on a rebounder is maybe the most fun way to burn calories EVER. (then you add in all of the amazing benefits it offers the body, immune system, etc.) win/win!
In her email Emily asked three thought provoking questions, for reflection…
What was my most life-giving YES this month? I would have to say it belongs to an opportunity that I can’t publicly share just yet, but it will be amazing and I can’t wait until I can!
What was my most life-giving NO this month? Ohh… I had been leading a small group for a few local women whom I have grown to cherish. While I really value them, and loved our time together, I came to a point work wise where SOMETHING had to go. It was a good thing, but hard too.
What is one thing I want to leave behind, moving into February? Looking for reasons to bundle up with Netflix. I know, it was cold and grey out. I had flare attacks. I get it. But also, a lot of those times I could have actually slept/rested, or picked up a book. Netflix has become too easy. I don’t want to leave down times like that, behind me. Just the ALWAYS resorting to that choice…
On that Note- What I watched and enjoyed:
Anne with an E season 3
What I read:
The Ten Thousand Doors of January (beautifully written but, in the end, not my style of book.)
The F*cK It Diet (still reading this… but it is BRILLIANT and necessary!)
Real Life Changing Discoveries:
My Rebounder (this isn’t my first rebounder experience. This thing is THE BEST rebounder we’ve ever seen though. At least for under $100)
Dog Hair Roller (If you have pets… this may be your best purchase. CHANGED OUR LIVES!)
Things I did and LOVED:
- sent handwritten letters every week.
- kept my Christmas cards hung up all month. My husband was annoyed, but they brought me so much joy! (they came down 2/1 because I love my marriage)
- continued listening to the Catlick podcast. (HOOKED!)
- Coffee dates with my husband. We’ve had some RICH time together in our local coffee spots.
- Time out, quiet Sundays.
Did you salvage any January growth/amazement/accomplishments/discoveries? If so, I’d love to know!